Saturday, December 11, 2010

Article: Stupid Google Tricks: Narrowing Your Results Using NOT


Stupid Google Tricks: Narrowing Your Results Using NOT - By Ron Miller

Stupid Google Tricks: Narrowing Your Results Using NOT

question mark

As I was searching for an answer to the iPad orientation lock problem this morning, I did a search in Google and was able to find my answer by first qualifying my original query then using NOT to eliminate irrelevant answers.

The trouble was that I started with this query:

restoring ipad lock in 4.0

That gave me too many irrelevant results. So I narrowed it by adding the word orientation:

restoring ipad orientation lock in 4.0

That gave me results that included iPhone and iPod Touch. So I narrowed it using the minus sign and found my answer:

restoring ipad orientation lock in 4.0 -iphone -ipod

By using the boolean NOT in the form a minus sign (-), I was able to narrow the search results and find my answer.

Get SkyGrid to stay up to date on what's hot now


Sent from my iPad

No comments: